Pages

Wednesday 29 July 2015

1849 - Address and Reply from Annaghdown Parish to Fr Myles Sheridan, P.P., Louisburgh

ADDRESS
FROM THE PARISH OF ANNADOWN, TO REV. MYLES SHERIDAN, P.P. OF LOUISBOROUGH.



REV. DEAR SIR -- We, the Parishioners of Annadown, with heartfelt regret at your departure from amongst us, and of exultation at your well-merited promotion, beg leave to offer you our warmest thanks and gratitude for the zealous discharge of your ministry, during a period of nine years amongst us.
Although we deeply deplore your physical absence, we hope to have you present in our minds, which neither time nor distance shall ever sever. You have been in a special manner a parent to the orphan and the helpless. During the last four years of famine and disease, we have witnessed your untiring exertions in the cause of the poor, while you, yourself suffered much privations in their behalf.
You were to the most enlightened amongst us a guide in the practice of religion - while your deep erudition and mildness of manners, were calculated to endear you to every class and creed. It would be idle of us to pourtray the many virtues which you possess in an eminent degree. We therefore, once more tender you our warm and sincere regard, and trust you may long live to diffuse the light of the Gospel amongst those who have been so fortunate as to have you amongst them.
Accept then, Rev. dear Sir, this small token of our regard and esteem, and Believe us to remain, yours, ever sincerely and affectionately.
(Signed on behalf of the Parishioners of Annadown)
                                                                                PATK. WADE,
                                                                                WILLIAM CLANCY,
                                                                                THOMAS CAVANAGH,
                                                                                THOMAS KEAVAN, M.D.
 Annadown, Sept. 15, 1849.

[REPLY]
                                                                                Louisborough, Sept. 16th, 1849.
MY EVER DEAR FRIENDS, - I return you my heartfelt thanks for your kind remembrance of me. I made an objection to any such kind offering being tendered to me, on my departure from my dear parish of Annadown; but your kind feelings could not be controuled by my reluctance to accept your generous offering as a testimony of your kindness to me, and approbation of my ministry amongst you for the last nine years. My love and attachment to Annadown, will be fresh in my memory to the end of my life and ministry. I will at all times remember you at my prayers and at the Holy Altar.
But, then, it will be asked, why I depart from such dear friends? - You in your kindness suggest answer. I came here, because it was the neighbourhood of my birth and associations of my youth. -As it was then called, the rising town of Louisboro', I there took my Latin grammar about 40 years ago. I also had a strong motive of coming here to succeed my lamented friend (now no more), Rev. P. Gibbons, whose memory is held in veneration, and will by generations yet unborn. I like to tread in his footsteps, and commemorate him in my prayers; - as I pass along other reminiscents are, indeed, dear to me in this locality. You, my dear friends, will take this as my apology for departing from amongst you.
But, my dear friends, although I came here to this parish, I will have an opportunity of visiting you to my delight, as a mail-car starts from this at eight o'clock in the morning to Westport, and a coach from that to Galway. But, my dear friends, the same facility is also open to you to visit me in the beautiful and romantic locality of the west. When you leave Westport, on your way to Louisborough, you will for four miles see beautiful villas and bathing lodges, on your right - adding to Clew Bay pure, grand scenery; and, on your left "Crough Patrick," the retreat of the pentinent and pilgrim - reminding you of the faith delivered to the Saints, and of the Apostolic Patron of Ireland. It is an emblem of our faith. An indifferent or infidel passenger may take a spall from its base - or the pious pilgrim, in his piety, a pebble from its summit. -Still, Crough Patrick will remain the same, and so will the faith of the people who surround it, not withstanding any weak efforts to the contrary. - Although I came from amongst you, I feel happy to know you will be delighted with you excellent and edifying Priests - your Parish Priest, Rev. Mr. Keavany, who was always admired for his piety and efficiency on the mission; and, as to our dear friend, Father Eugene Coyne, I am aware how you revere him for his virtues - how those virtues and religious feelings have endeared you to each other and to me. 
My friends in Galway I am truly grateful to; from them, both lay and clerical, I experienced kindness and friendship, of which I feel proud, and have a kind reminiscence. May Galway prosper and become a flourishing Citie; the railroad now in progress and a packet station, will make it what nature formed it for.
From the splendid mansion of Cregg Castle to the humblest cottage, I present you with my blessing, love and gratitude, and remain,
                                       Ever yours Affectionately,
                                                             MYLES SHERIDAN, P.P.

No comments:

Post a Comment